The opinions in this article are my own. I do not work for, or with, any brand mentioned in this article, nor do I have any official relationship with them. I have a relationship with GigaSavvy, for whom I create original editorial content.
Every year the when January rolls around what is the number one resolution most people make? Usually it’s to lose weight and get healthy. Although these 2 things seem to be the most logical and good for you resolutions, they can also be the most difficult to achieve. We all want to be healthier and lose a few pounds, but how you do this is what matters. When it comes to being and feeling healthy, I feel most people only rely on a numbers from the scale or the numbers on the doctors chart. Being healthy is more than just your weight or vitals, being and feeling healthy is also mental and emotional. How can you claim to be healthy if you are feeling unhappy, stressed and emotionally drained?
I like to consider myself a healthy person, although some may disagree because of my weight. Yes, I know losing some weight would be great for my health. I agree too, but when all your focus goes to one thing such as weight loss, it can trigger other things like stress, anger and dissatisfaction with yourself. Well I don’t know about you, but if I am stressed and feeling low about myself, I sure don’t feel healthy. So why not change it up a bit and think differently about achieve the goal of being healthy this year. You don’t have to set a crazy goal for yourself, which mostly like will fail with in just a few weeks. In turn will only bring you back to either feeling stressed out, unhappy, anxious. It’s time to kill that vicious cycle most of us have with our self at the beginning of each year. This year the resolution is to be to have FUN while on the road to improving your health. Make it a bit challenging, but not so difficult to achieve. Above all have FUN, and make it doable for yourself.
Here are 5 ways to have FUN while improving your health, which may even result in losing a pound or two. It's never too late to get started on a healthier you so hope you enjoy my tips!
- Be Active: This one it the most obvious, but I don’t mean to go join a gym or get on some crazy exercise routine you won’t be able to keep up with. Remember the goal is to have FUN, find out what love and do it. Ride a bike, take a dance class, go hiking or just go for long walks on the beach. We all have that one thing we have wanted to try forever, this year go do it! I personally want to take a dance class and ride a bike on the beach. Being active can be fun and gets your endorphin flowing which can only lead to a better and healthier you.
- Eat Healthy: Again this is obvious, we all should eat healthier and make better choices with our food. We all know this is a tough one, so why not make it fun. I personally am not the best cook and want to learn to cook healthier and tastier meals. Why not take a cooking class with a friend, or better yet cook with a friend. Have a healthy potluck party with friends and family to encourage and help each. Go try out new healthy restaurants and write a review about it on yelp. Getting help is always a great way to stay on track, so have fun and it will make it easier for you to achieve this goal.
- Have a “Me” day: Nothing is better for your mind and spirt than taking care of you. I am a firm believer in having a “Me” day. Pick a day a week or each month to make it all about you and what you like. I recommend doing this alone if possible, go out and do whatever you like that will make you happy. Go see a movie, get that mani/pedi or get that massage you have been dying for. Even if you just take the afternoon off to read that book you have putting off. Just do it! Do something for you without worry or stress of anything else. Taking care of your self is an essential part of being healthy. Its good for your mind body and soul
- Smile and Laugh: This may sound silly, but studies have shown smiling and laugh is good for you! Who doesn't like to laugh and feel good? Don’t you feel better after watching a funny movie and laughed the entire time? Or just getting a nice friendly smile from a stranger is good. This one takes little effort to achieve, go ahead try it now smile and laugh. I bet you already feel a little bit better about yourself.
- Give/Receive Hugs: Oh now you think I am crazy! A hug a day can keep the doctor away. OK I just made this up, but a hug can improve your mental health for sure. I know most people are not huggers, but it’s such a simple human act with great benefits. Try it today, give someone a hug, any one and see how you feel afterwards. I can bet it will make you smile and feel good. The more hugs you give and receive the better you will feel.
So these are my 5 ways to help improve your healthy this year and have fun doing it. These ways may seem simple and silly even, but why not try them and see what happens. Remember the goal is improve your healthy and have fun while you do it. You have nothing to lose, so give it a try and tell me how it works out for you. I am not a doctor or professional so these are just my opinions and thought about improving your health. For more information go click over to Molina Healthcare and learn more from the real pros and docs on tips for staying healthy.